Monday, April 20, 2020

Plan C: Central Okanagan BC

I recently spoke to a former colleague, close friend of mine. We were discussing the way one would go about getting a teaching job in Canada. Its not that easy. Not that I don't think (or they don't think) we are qualified, but being gone 6 years out of Canada and the with the way the government is at the moment, this is bonkers. I believe I would be LUCKY to find a full-time teaching position in 3 years in ON. Which is ridiculous when you have a wife and child you need to support.

Here I am though, I talked about some of the private schools I am applying to and the schools boards in Central/Southern Alberta that I am applying to, here is the 3rd option (used to be New Brunswick, but I don't think the wife would appreciate it much).

Central Okanagan, BC Canada-School District No.23

http://www.sd23.bc.ca/DistrictInfo/Employment/teachingapplications/Pages/default.aspx#/=

http://www.sd23.bc.ca/board/Pages/default.aspx#/=

http://www.sd23.bc.ca/careers/Pages/default.aspx#/=

One nice thing about applying to schools in BC was that I didn't need to change up my application game-they use makeafuture.ca which is linked to the applytoeducation website. GREAT!

Buddy recommended School district No.83 as well.
_________________________________________________________________________________

I put the search through BC on halt for now as the COVID-19 messed up ALL plans of returning to Canada for a stable life/back to China (for friends abroad) which tells me two things...

1) No guaranteed work for teachers/OT in the 2020-2021 year...not to mention a higher cost of living as the economy crashes...

2) Lack of experienced teachers in China teaching...so those more interesting and professionally staffed schools with tenure teachers...might have a couple openings-sorry if that applies to you, but...I need to take advantage-I am mainly heading back to Canada for opportunity-something I didn't think I would find here in China-plus my family in Canada.

Nonetheless-I put halt on job apps in Canada to front the potential shortage of teachers here in China (in desirable locations with increased salary steps than the one I currently employed into).

But, still strongly considering the Okanagan in BC...good thing I didn't drop the BC certification. So far the teacher shortage in China is not working to my favour. Really need to get IB certs to make working in China a worthwhile career-or a MA.

My opinion...




No comments:

Post a Comment