Wednesday, April 22, 2020

International Open Academy (MOOCs)-Thoughts...

Hey there,

As I face the uncertain future of my career due to the virus outbreak I contemplate was to make myself qualified for jobs either outside of my qualifications or that require things like "Language Certifications" and "Administrative Experience".

My goal in taking these online courses is to take courses and provide feedback on how worthwhile they really are for people like-oh I don't know...teachers?

I mean, my hypothesis is that they are a money grab and a huge waste of time. However as a teacher in a social science area or even Culinary Arts (Technology Studies), one can assume that traditional modes of education are not always the most feasible (and however much better they may look on a resume), they are not always necessary.

This all started with a requirement asked of me by a perspective employer (QKids), they asked i receive my TEFL. I did-for free because they paid for it-THAT WAS HANDY!

After taking the course, I tried another "trial" one on Child Psych. ugh it was very much video based and not well scripted or fact checked at all-BUT it did play around the buzz acronym SEL (without saying SEL throughout the entire course-which I thought was either really silly or just showing of how little this person was qualified to deliver this course), I decided to see what other courses were at IOA...for free-not many or any I believe as they want you to order a subscription which I feel is not worth the money based on the courses I had already taken.

If the opportunity comes around again-I may try another in a different field of study...hopefully this tells you what you wanted to know about the legitimacy of IOA.

Updated:

With the COVID-19 situation, everyone and their uncle have access to MOOC's and they are no longer "enough" for upper management positions-especially within government office and the realm of Education. 

In NA online unversities to accommodate the COVID-19 era learner have made getting a MA so easy that we can expect anyone with an MA to be an equivalent with someone having a BA two-three years ago. It may have been turning into that over the last decade, but especially now, there is a noticeable paradigm shift in attainability and accessibility to post-secondary education.

In China actually now, there are many who are facing issues as the government in China is seeking to discredit online MA programs that learners from Mainland China are taking as they apply for different higher level positions-because again, everyone and their uncle are getting these MA from fly by the seat of your pants universities online.

Terrifying times to be job hunting.

Good luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment