Saturday, March 2, 2019

Module 3 Reflection (Feb. 2019)

This one came in a bit late, sincerest apologies. Been a whirlwind of a holiday and start-up. Regardless, the experience was most worthwhile as I found myself working that much harder to really focus and take something away from this module. I found that this module was the most difficult of all studied so far, namely because of the STEP program's incorporation into a regular lesson/daily lesson plan.

It seems very inconvenient to have two sets of lessons plans made up. One set, predetermined and accommodated accordingly for the class and school year as needed. To then create another set of lessons for the same materials but then trying to recognize the different STEPS at unknown rates of progress or abilities at the beginning of the year, that is a lot of extra week-week work. Depending on the grade, age and background of the student, it could even be more difficult as a teacher makes accommodations from day to day. This is not yet mentioning newcomers in the later part of a school year or so, which is not common, but could very well still happen.

I have a question to anyone who reads this actually, what do you think about CLIL, meaning, do you believe that if the lesson follows CLIL (content learning integrated language learning), that this would be similar or equivalent to using STEP in classrooms. I ask this because the way I see it, if teaching in Ontario, you are expected to best serve your students, but when it comes to resources and policies in place, is it required to follow STEP or could a teacher utilize CLIL? To be honest, I like CLIL for the simplicity of the lesson plan, granted it is all "Cole's Notes" so not many other teachers may appreciate the style. On the other hand, I personally love the documentation of what comes after the year is over and this massive accumulation of resources/lesson plans becomes apart of a portfolio.

How did you incorporate your documentation of STEP in your classroom, through Lesson plans, Checklists, or something else? I do understand that not all teachers practice STEP when they should (for various reasons), but as a teacher who expects it to be necessary, I would like some feedback or advice.

I think that STEP is a powerful practice for teachers to incorporate when they are equipped with the correct data of their students and prepared for the next level of their ELL from level to level. The quadrants of Cummins' model seems to be vastly accepted and adapted to achieve different purposes. I do think that means it is very credible data, but I also believe that if it can be manipulated to prove different points, the most important part about it, is that it tells teachers-no two students are the same. When a classroom has 30 students, a teacher should expect based on that simple original model, that they need to meet the needs of all four quadrants in different subject areas. It (to me) is a representation of the teacher's golden standard. Teach to all four quadrants, impossible to believe. I do not  impossible is the correct word, I think its important to recognize that its not easy. A teacher could reach all four quadrants and if not through direct instruction then through extra-curricular activities, school community, culture integration and multiculturalism.

Overall as an educator I have grown to see that I am not doing enough to serve the ELL needs of my students. I am too focused on what other teachers are doing and saying in their classes, I need to go back to how I conduct and instruct because that will allow me to build assessments that are more clear for me to understand the abilities of my ELL. Teachers are sometimes trying to push the latest and greatest in educational philosophy, but in reality after some experience, you are already doing what people say works well, its a matter of knowing "the name" of it is all. As a teacher I am finding that I may have skills to complete tasks in my profession and conduct myself successfully. It is important for me to also recognize that as for my students, I need to develop my academic vocabulary to better explain my methodologies and show that I recognize the aspects of my own practice. If I do make my way into an administrative position one day, I hope to have a committee of teachers to which I ca work with to professional develop resources/policies for students within the school to receive the assistance needed to achieve their next level. I am participating on a literacy committee here at my school now, I am currently developing tools for teachers to use that will help them identify their student's abilities and

No comments:

Post a Comment