Monday, January 14, 2019

M2 Part C: Myths


What are your thoughts on the myths? What can you do an educator to correct these myths?


My thoughts on the myths are that they are basic level thinking and although they may seem logical, expansive research done throughout history proves otherwise. After reading the article about the Myths, I feel that the French as a Second Language Program is in a similar situation to that of situations that we are talking about here in the course. For us here in this course, we are conducting discussions on students, English speaking abilities and ways to immerse ELL in community as well as culture because many languages are closely intertwined with culture.

Looking at it from that perspective I feel that maybe when I was taught French in school although it seemed professional to be learning all the part of the language in that language-learning it in English was the most effective way to teach it yo elementary students. I believe the same could at times be said for say-Chinese learning English.

One big concern I have for my newborn son is language, I am reading to him in English ever since he was born (just to get his ears familiarized with my voice as well as the language). My wife is Chinese and speaks more Chinese with him than I do, but I always worry about him struggling with one language over the other all time. I know the research and data-everything will be fine. But I have seen a couple other interracial couples who kids (3-4 years) talk like they have marbles in their mouth, we don't fully understand them all the time and even my coworker (the father says he feels maybe he should have practiced less Chinese around the house, but is surprised because he thought he spoke and practiced a lot of English with him). Sounds silly, but I am super nervous. I do want our son to speak an array of languages (another huge reason for us to move back to Canada)-he can learn French, Italian, etc. we are very lucky to have the education system we have in Canada I feel because of the opportunities for youth.

This article really helped me keep peace of mind though, I was happy to read it and will still continue with Spot, Goodnight Gorilla and what not cause he still loves time with Dad reading. However I feel a lot less pressure and panic now-kind of interesting to see my studies correlate to my real life worries.

I believe as a school administrator though it would be important then to hold events and maybe even language exchange classes for the school at breaks or after school as a welcoming activity in which the family or students are able to have other families or students come out to a small intimate gathering and share language, culture with each other. At the very least, the principal could be there building the bricks for the activity till it catches tread.

No comments:

Post a Comment