Monday, January 28, 2019

M2: Part B-Behaviorism as a Theory in Language Development

Head's up, I don't quite understand the mechanics of the group/forum posting, BUT I'll give it a shot. I am talking about the Behaviourism as it pertains to the statements...
  • Behaviorists theorize that language is learnt through imitation and habit. Babies often reproduce the sounds of the language they hear most often as language sounds are often learnt through imitation and repetition.
Statements and Discussion:

Statement 1:
"With repetition comes some understanding...That is why it is important to practice speaking and being immersed in the language to fully grasp and learn the language."
I found this interesting and clear summary of "Behavioral Theory. The behavioral perspective states that language is a set of verbal behaviors learned through operant conditioning. Operant conditioning is a method of changing behavior so that a desired behavior is reinforced immediately after it occurs." (2019) I think it is important to recognize that true Canadian colloquial "Eh". This is a colloquialism that has seemingly served as a a multi-purpose part of speech. Growing up with it, without it-can a person understand it? There are phenomenons like this around the globe, here in China I live in the Northeastern Part of the country and instead of "eh", its "Er". For example, some, ONLY SOME of the words, usually nouns end with "Er", simply because "its the North". I find myself learning a language with a hint of Northern love (which is great), so much so that when I travel to places like Taiwan or Shanghai, the locals are asking me what I'm referring to exactly. They understand me but believe I had misspoken until they realize that I am traveling from the north. After telling them I live in Dalian-they say "A, Er-De DonBei Er". Which is "Ah Er, as in the Northeastern Er". The Chinese linguists follow up with "Dei Me?" (Correct?), but "Dei" a Dalian way to pronounce "Dui" (Correct). When I'm travelling, speaking Chinese how do I explain my unconventional annunciations? Behaviorism.


Statement 2 
"People can learn new information and behaviours by watching other people. Also in order to learn, you need to be paying attention. Anything that takes that attention away can hinder the learning process."

I am currently trying to teach myself French. I am also continuing my learning of the Mandarin Language. I recently became interested in learning Italian (again). My goal is to be fluent in Mandarin and have the ability to complete FSL pt.1 by the end of next year (at least). Will I be successful? What do I need to do to optimize or maximize my learning?

Statement 3
"There must be repeated opportunities for children to hear the language, and to imitate it until these sounds become a habit. This requires reinforcement, practice and rehearsal and is difficult."
My son said his first word at the ripe old age of 3 1/2 months-"Ma". I could have sworn I hear him say "I" as well (but that was around 2 months). If you record a child, and play it back, you can hear a lot. A Child is great at imitating, but they need to have something to imitate. I have been reading everything from "Alice in Wonderland" to "Spot goes to the Park" to my son, most chances I have. I am getting a bit exhausted now because he can actually get bored during reading-so novels are out. He loves Spot, and other picture books...I'm thinking about getting more, not so much for him, he can cycle through these books every week and still be happy to lay there looking at the pictures, but if I see spot running through the circus for another 4 months, "oh no" :p "Two other concepts that are important for understanding the behaviorist ideas of speech and language development are imitation and practice. A young child will try to imitate sounds and words he hears his parents say the best he can. When a child says a word that sounds close to what the parents say, they accept and reinforce it. In other words, they begin shaping the word until the child can eventually say the word as well as the parents do." (2019) The point is my wife and I think we can hear him speaking, is he though? Maybe, but it feels more like operant conditioning. 

Statement 4

"It becomes important for teachers to provide different opportunities to students where they can spend more time as a team, where they get the chance to share their ideas and feelings"
I feel that behaviourism as a perspective rather than just what it is referring to in regards to language, this is the epitome of it. Once we have one student buy into an idea, we can expect to see a systematic inclusion of all or most students. However delayed the participation may vary student to student, there are classrooms where it is seen as a true success just simply getting all students to participate.
Looking forward to the responses!

All the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment