Monday, June 10, 2019

LUAA-Lakehead VIewbook!

Sweet news! I'm not lost and forgotten Lakehead University graduate in China, turns out yes, there is an alumni chapter-in Shanghai or Beijing (quite quiet though), and far that's quite far from my current location-but I was asked to participate in a viewbook piece for Alumni.

Pretty cool, makes me feel really good. I guess, the years of Additional Qualifications are keeping my name fresh in some folks minds? Nonetheless, here is the original piece and the shortened piece of the article I was interviewed for.

I'll share a link or scan of the viewbook when I get around to that/get it.

Original:

"University is the place that students experience the good, the bad and the ugly of themselves. At Lakehead that experience was much more a positive experience because of outdoors lifestyle and openness of the region. I was finding that every year I would return, I would have changed in another way either being more social or athletic. It took years maybe, but leaving Lakehead I felt like I lived 5 lives, and was ready for rest of it. It is where I found myself, the most unexpected place in the world for me when I was making the decision.

I completed a college road trip with my parents, from Brantford through Orillia, Sudbury, Ste. St. Marie, all the way up to Thunder Bay. It was not so much as I choosing Lakehead, as much as it was Thunder Bay that chose me. Out of everything I had seen being from Niagara, part of me wanted to go to Brock University because it was a dream for a long time, but it didn't really offer me the chance to do what I did at Lakehead and be who I was at Lakehead."

Final Draft:

Lakehead University is where I found myself, which was the most unexpected place in the world for me when I was making the decision about my post-secondary education. I drove from Brantford with my parents to campus for a tour. That trip changed my life. When I left Lakehead I felt like I had lived 5 lives and was prepared for my next journey. Now I’ve been teaching in China for the past five years in a British Columbia curriculum accredited offshore school as a Language Arts Educator in Dalian. – Carmelo Bono (BED ’14, BA ’14)


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment