Sunday, June 22, 2014

Job market in canada

No jobs. That is all. 

Nah, there are jobs. And lots just, very hard to find, costly to have or further from home. Some jobs are exactly what you are looking for, if you have the qualifications for it. 

I am a catholic highschool teacher in the subjects of English and social science. There are very, and I mean , very few jobs for me here in Ontario. Across canada though there are lots of jobs, the problem with these jobs is the cost of living as well as the fact that I have a student loan I need to clean up. Jobs here on canada will not allow me to clean up my debt quickly or work where I would prefer. Granted beggars can't be choosers but, if I am moving away from friends and family; might as well go big! 

Overseas. This is where a lot of beginning teachers are going, you need to be careful when going overseas to teach though. See next post.

In Canada's more urban areas if you are lucky, a starting teacher can be looking at 35-40 ish thousand a year with benefits. As a French teacher, you are probably entitled to a wee bit more. 

If you are a beginning teacher going north, you can certainly make a pretty penny. However be prepared for small community living and harsh winters. A worth while experience, but you need to want to go. 

In Alberta, and some other booming places, you can reach around 60ish thousand, however you need to realize this is because of the cost of living is higher. This is something to be aware of no matter where you go, this is a big part of the reason I was not overly enthused about working overseas, my biggest  offers  were from England which can be extremely expensive, not only to start up but to live as well. 

In the name of experience, just go with it. I'm heading to china. Stay in touch and remember to keep following :)

Cheers!

C.B.

No comments:

Post a Comment